The hero who put her life on the line to save kids during last week's Dublin crèche attack is now out of intensive care, it has emerged.
More than a week after the horror attack in which Leanne Flynn Keogh was repeatedly stabbed as she defended the young kids from the knifeman, sources have confirmed that her condition has improved enough for her to be moved out of ICU – and into a high dependency unit.
"It’s good news," a source told The Irish Mirror.
Dubliner Ms Flynn Keogh, who is in her 20s, had been in the intensive care unit of the city’s Mater Hospital ever since the attack on the crèche at Gaelscoil Cholaiste Mhuire on the city’s Parnell Square East last Thursday – and there had been fears she may not survive her injuries.
She was stabbed in the chest when she confronted the attacker moments into the incident.
Ms Flynn Keogh is understood to have taken on the attacker when she saw him stab a little girl several times in the chest as the class of kids lined up to enter an after-school crèche in the school at around 1.30pm last Thursday.
The attacker turned his knife on Ms Flynn Keogh and inflicted serious injuries on her – before turning his attention to two more kids in the line.
But at least three members of the public – French student Alan Loren-Guille, Dubliner Warren Donohoe and Brazilian delivery driver Caio Benicio – took on and subdued the attacker.
But sources say the actions of Ms Flynn Keogh undoubtedly saved lives that day - and she almost paid the ultimate price.
"You would shudder to think what would have happened if Leanne didn’t act so quickly," a source said.
"She undoubtedly saved the lives of children that day."
Ms Flynn Keogh spent almost a week in the ICU unit, before being moved out of the high dependency unit on Thursday, sources said.
She is still seriously ill, but sources say the fact she has been moved out of ICU is a sign that her condition is improving.
The five-year-old girl who was badly injured in the stabbing is still dangerously ill in CHI Temple Street Hospital for children in central Dublin. Sources have told us she is critically ill.
Two other children, a girl aged six and a boy aged five, were also injured in the attack.
Their injuries were less serious and they have now both been discharged from hospital.
The suspected attacker suffered serious head injuries when he was tackled in the incident and he is still in an induced coma in the Mater Hospital at the time of writing.
Sources have told us investigators fear he may have suffered serious brain injuries in the incident.
Gardai from the city’s Mountjoy Station are still waiting to question him – but won’t be allowed to until he is medically fit enough.
And that, sources have warned, could be some time.
Gardai are still trying to establish a motive for the horror attack, but are satisfied there was no terror connection.
A laptop and phone found nothing to suggest a Jihadi link.
We revealed last week that the man may have suffered a brain tumour around two years ago and a family member told gardai that he suffered a sharp decline in his mental health after that.
We also reported that he was in court in Dublin in May charged with possessing a knife and damaging a car – but had no conviction recorded against him.
Sources have told us he was charged with one count of possessing a knife and another of criminal damage to a car following an incident in central Dublin in April.
He appeared in Dublin District Court at the city’s CCJ in May. The judge in the case heard all the evidence, but made no order. That means the suspect was not convicted of any offence.
Gardai have appealed for witnesses or anyone with footage of the incident to come forward.
A spokesman said: "An Garda Síochána is appealing to any person with any information on this attack to contact investigating Gardaí. Investigating Gardaí are also appealing to any person who may have mobile phone footage of the attack or the immediate aftermath to make this footage available to An Garda Síochána.
"Anyone with information is asked to contact Mountjoy Garda Station 01 666 8600 the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station."
For all the latest news from Dublin and surrounding areas visit our homepage.
Join our Dublin Live breaking news service on WhatsApp. Click this link to receive your daily dose of Dublin Live content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.